Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Egg Hunt Morphs to Wealth Redistribution...

Today A.J. and I joined a few other parents in watching our kidlets take part in the Pre-K egg hunt and "party." Alex had a blast! The hunt was over in 5 minutes - these kids were serious about getting those colorful little candy-filled eggs. As the kids all got in line to go back to their rooms for their party, they were all thrilled with their goodies. Interestingly though, once back in their classroom, they were instructed not to open any of their eggs. One by one the teacher called each student over to the rug with their bag of eggs and had them count out the eggs. If a child had more than 12 eggs, any extras were removed and kept on the rug. When a child had fewer than 12 eggs, the teacher would take from the "extra" eggs on the rug to make up the difference. This continued until all the kids had 12 eggs each. Before I say anything, each of the kids was thrilled with what they had in their bags. Some had more than 12, some had as little as 4 - but each was very excited (Alex only had 8). Does what the teacher did strike you at all as wrong? As my husband said, it's wealth redistribution in it's simplest most purest form. I tend to agree. I guess at this age maybe all that matters is that they have fun, which they did! Still...


Egg hunters survey the grounds before them...

After the race - job well done!

3 comments:

Cari said...

You are so funny. Bart would have said the same thing. Let them learn the lesson early in a safe setting.

Malinda said...

I think it's fair. My parents used to do the same thing because Steven would get up early and find where all the eggs were before I got up, so they made him split them up equally after we found them. There will always be a Steven in each group, so I love that the teacher split them up equally.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, but then we get to the guilt of winning and competition that is now hitting our schools. I have some reservations but for little ones I guess I see the point. Hey, do you know if blogspot will post to FB? Xanga is now connected so that anything I post in Xanga can post on my FB....would love to see that happen if you can so I can keep track more often!