Saturday, June 11, 2011
A "Cleary" Good Choice...
Several weeks ago we began reading a new book & author to Alex. It's one that is extremely popular with the early elementary set (okay, it's Junie B. Jones, if you must know!) and he had apparently been introduced to it in first grade - having it read to the class by his teacher. Both A.J. and I were struck by the book's lead character, a young girl. She is extremely sassy and disrespectful toward adults (and that's just one complaint). We didn't make it beyond a chapter or two when it went right back to the library. It really disappoints me to see a popular book series portraying that sort of behavior as amusing and the norm. So I began thinking back to when I was a kid. What books made me laugh, anticipate, and excite my imagination? And what would interest my little boy. That's when I thought back to one of my very favorite childhood authors...Beverly Cleary. I love this woman's books - she's a wonderful author. All take place and were written in the 1950's/60's. The subject matter is always innocent and wholesome, and the characters are ornery, amusing and all-American (the main characters frequently say things like "Jeepers!" or "Aw gee Dad!" - not what you find in today's "kid-friendly" books). I knew the Henry Huggins series would be perfect for Alex. I found several of the books at a used book store and began reading them to Alex and he had loved every one of them. Henry Huggins and his dog Ribsy (and friends Scooter, Beezus & Ramona) rock! It's awesome to see the slight smile across Alex's face or hear him giggle at Henry's antics. Fantastic reading! Thank you Beverly Cleary!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think I know what series you're referring too. We don't let Beth read them either. Some of our favorite series' of books- A to Z mysteries and Magic Tree House. Geronimo Stilton is a fun one, different print and pics in the book make it fun. Enjoy your summer reading!
Sarah enjoyed the Magic Tree House series too :) We turned off a LOT of the cartoons when we realized that the main characters were sassy and the parents are portrayed as idiots (especially dads). Good that you are paying attention. So many parents don't notice! Have fun - so many books to read so little time!
I feel the same way about the Junie B. Jones books. I started reading one with the girls and only got a couple pages in and stopped. They are so popular among the girls teachers too. It baffles me why we would want to read to our kids about sassy & disrespectful kids, when we try and teach them not to be that way.
My girls have the Magic Tree House books too. I have been told the later ones in the series get a little iffy with the magic and stuff.
Summer also loved the Cul-de-Sac kids series. It is a Christian series. You may want to check into those too. Too bad we don't live closer, you could borrow ours :)
Alex has enjoyed the Magic Tree House books a lot this past year. I'll have to check out the Cul-de-Sac books, as well as well as the A to Z mysteries and Geronimo Stilton. It is really nice to know there actually are some good things out there for our kids!
Post a Comment