Thursday, October 14, 2010

Habits...

When Alex started first grade this year, we knew he would be experiencing the joys of homework for the first time.  When I was in school I never developed good study habits, and neither did A.J. I was primarily a "B" student and I was content with that.  I rarely studied for tests, and when I did it was frantic-night-before-test preparation.  I happily made do though.  Unfortunately once I got to college I found it hard to remain disciplined in my homework and studying.  I always had good intentions at the beginning of each semester but by the time the first exam rolled around I found myself struggling and stressing about the lack of studying I had done.  I hated feeling that way.  So, back to Alex.  A.J. and I decided we needed to create some homework guidelines for Alex.  Habits.  Disciplines.  While we'd like for him to be able to come home, change in to play clothes and immediately run out the door, we've decided it would be more beneficial for him if he completed all homework upon arrival at home.  Being motivated to play with a neighbor friend or simply to go outside really encourages his homework completion (most of the time).  In the month and a half he's been bringing home homework I've already seen the habit of coming right in to the kitchen table, grabbing a snack and beginning his homework cementing itself in to his routine.  He's off to a good start!
I love the concentrated set of his mouth! :)

No comments: