Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Rapid Descent In Mommy Fashion...

After the birth of Alex work outside the home ceased and I became a stay-at-home Mom.  I love this job of mine.  One of the small benefits I quickly came to appreciate was that I no longer had to dress up.  No work-day casual attire.  Simple jeans were part of my everyday Mom uniform.  I still tried to look good.  No "Mom jeans" for me - I favored my Long & Lean Gap jeans with some cute chunky-heeled shoes.  Never gym shoes, except for the gym, of course.  I still picked up cute cardigans & tops from the Gap, Ann Taylor, or J.Crew - on sale if possible.  Four years later, my sweet Ayson arrived.  Working out ceased.  Uh oh.  I was busier with "kids stuff."  Lots busier.  I was wearing no makeup.  I began noticing sales (& stocked up - a lot) on simple t-shirts at Target and Old Navy to go with my jeans or shorts.  All of that along with the oh-so-comfy hooded jacket & matching pants combos one finds in the "Activewear" department of the local Macys, JCP or Kohls.  Flip flops became my feet's best friends in the spring and summer, and gym shoes (shudder) in the fall and winter.  I now find myself floating aimlessly in the mommy fashion abyss.  But I'm comfortable! :)

As of late - maybe it's the spring-like weather we're having - I've been feeling the desire to awaken from this slump - to find my Mommy fashion self again.  No more being the poster child for plain, boring mom-wear! I will re-emerge (cue the inspirational music) like a butterfly! Good bye slip-on gym shoes that are comfy and so easy to put on! Adieu simple t-shirts that go with everything! Farewell matching hoodies and pants that are so cozy! I still love you (& it's not good bye forever) but I'm looking for greener pastures!!

2 comments:

Toby said...

Hear, hear!!! You'll always look cute to this Mom!

Aunt Jennifer said...

I have to admit, I am a little envious of your mommy fashion. Sometimes it would be nice just to where a t-shirt, jeans, and flip flops during the week! You always look cute to me :)