It's that time of year again when we celebrate both Alex and Ayson's birthday, both of them having birth dates almost exactly one month apart. I've been in conflict about the whole birthday party thing. I love celebrating my boys and having a lot of fun with them and spoiling them. Over the years we've had everything from family (extended) parties, a pool party, and parties at the Art Barn, Buffalo Nickels mini golf & arcade, and a joint party at our park's spray ground. They've all been fun. And our friends have been incredibly generous giving our boys great gifts...
Have I mentioned I'm in the process of reading a book called Too Much Of A Good Thing: Raising Children of Character in an Indulgent Age? Well, maybe you can guess where this is going in regards to my thoughts for this year's birthday parties. While I love all the fun of the parties, I'm trying to find balance. Celebration without promoting a sense of entitlement. It's difficult in a society that says if we want to make our kids truly happy, we give them their heart's desires. Who doesn't want to do that? I think it's certainly the easier route to go, but I don't think the likely long term consequences/results are worth it, and are much more difficult to undo...
So. This year we are attempting something different. We'll have a joint [extended] family party for the boys. Then each of the munchkins can choose something cool to do on their day with just our immediately family (and of course gifts from us). And Alex, since he's older, can have a buddy over for some fun and a sleepover. The boys have been totally agreeable to the idea, and I know when birthday time rolls around they will both have a great day! It may not be for everybody and I don't mean it to sound judgmental toward anyone, it just makes sense for our family. Make sense? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment