Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas...Last Year...

We were up in Minnesota to visit my family this year for Christmas.  Since getting back New Year's Eve however, I just haven't found time to sit down at my computer to recount our time.  So here I find myself, in the new year, finally ready to recall.  It was a fun time - it was uniquely stressful - there were sweet moments of peace - and, the day we left, there was finally snow.

Our first full day in Minnesota was actually on Christmas Eve.  We attended my parent's church's Christmas Eve service and then snuggled in at home together with Mom & Dad.  Because Christmas fell on Sunday this year, we actually did something very different [for us] on Christmas morning. I think going to church on Christmas is sort of a hard thing for little kids.  Those presents are just sitting under the tree waiting to be opened.  We did our best throughout the Advent season to daily remind our boys about why we celebrate Christmas, but doggone! Those presents! My parent's church has always had a Christmas morning Swedish Julotta service.  In all my years living in Minnesota I never went because it is always at 6:30 in the morning! But since we are regularly up at between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. we decided we'd try out this honored Swedish tradition.  I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed it, more so than even the Christmas Eve service.  We arrived at church walking along a candlelit sidewalk, and then in to a darkened sanctuary, lit only by candles.  The entire service was simple Bible readings with Christmas songs in between the various readings.  We were able to bring the boys in their pajamas, and they sat quietly (almost quietly for Ayson) throughout the service.  It was such a peaceful and thoughtful way to usher in the Christmas day.

Once home, we enjoyed a wonderful Christmas day with my parents and one of my brothers, along with his family.  I think if you asked my boys, one of the highlights of that afternoon was getting to have fun and hang out with their cousins.  What fun they had.  And what a lovely Christmas day. :)


Back home from the Julotta service - bright-eyed and bushy-tailed!

No comments: