Thursday, January 19, 2012

Coming To A Doorstep Near You...

When I was in elementary school, every autumn there would come a day when we were sent home with a good-sized, heavy box.  It was packed with candles, cards, wrapping paper, ornaments etc.  And it was our school's fundraiser.  Ugh.  I think out of all the years we came home with those things, I attempted visiting only two houses, was "shot down," and subsequently turned in my sales badge! No more for me.  I've never taken rejection particularly well.  And I've never particularly enjoyed approaching people and trying to sell them things.
 
But things are different these days.  For one thing, the fundraising companies offer kids tasty incentive gifts, that leave kids drooling.  The schools have "pep" rallies to kick off the fundraising and no doubt whip the kids in to a frenzy with all kinds of cool things they can have if they sell "x" number of items.  Alex has no trouble walking up to someone's house and attempting to make a sale.  He's driven by the promise of cool gadgets, toys, and electronic devices.  As you might guess, Alex came home today with a fundraising packet - discount cards to local restaurants.  After completing his homework he wants to head out in to the neighborhood.  He's ready to put on his salesman hat, he's got his spiel down.  Watch out, he might come knocking on your door! :)

1 comment:

Malinda said...

I always hated selling things too. In 3rd grade we sold spice sets that were in a little wooden box and I sold a TON of them. Not sure why, maybe the price was right and people were just glad I wasn't selling wrapping paper.

Good luck to him! I can picture him giving his little spiel and being very good at it. He might surprise you with how much he does sell!