Sunday, April 11, 2010

Confession...

I'm certain everyone knows that by the time a child hits the magic age of one year, pediatricians generally recommend that parents swap their kid's bottle for a sippy cup, and that they cease letting their child use a pacifier. I'm proud to say Ayson was using a sippy cup a month or two before his first birthday. Then there is the pacifier...or shall I say pacifiers. At two and a half, my little man is still in a love relationship with his pacifier, and I've had a terrible time broaching the topic of taking them away...

This little guy loves his pacifiers. I mean he really loves them. He has two which he has named yellow and blue. That's how he refers to them. Yellow and blue. And he does need two. One of course, to pop in his mouth, and the other he artfully props between his upper lip and his nose because he likes to smell it. Many times while we're rocking together in his room and reading bedtime stories, he'll graciously offer me a smell. I'm pleased he so willingly offers up one of his prized possessions for me to enjoy but I most often decline. :)

The time is drawing near though where we're going to have to have a bon voyage party for our dear friends, yellow and blue. I'm dreading it actually. I hate good byes. I hope Ayson will make it a painless ordeal. But it really is time. Still, I think I'm going to miss seeing him with yellow and blue

2 comments:

Malinda said...

I'm sure we all have "confessions" to make when it comes to parenting. I feel guilty because I have not committed to the potty training 100%. I know he could do it, it's totally my fault he is not potty trained.

Maybe you should have a going away party for the pacifiers and we could come over and give him a "trade" for something else like a little toy or something. Just an idea. Good luck!

Shannon said...

It really is sad saying goodbye to the pacifier. It is hard to see your own baby grow up :( Out of all 3 of my girls, Ellie was the most attached. We decided at 2 years old it was time. We ended up cutting off the nipples of it and told her it was broken. She tried sucking on it and it didn't work. I was surprised how well it went over with her. The only time after that that was hard for us were car rides when she would whine in the car. We no longer had a cork to put in her so we had to listen to the crying :)