Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer: Our New Way ...

I seem to be in a never-ending struggle to create consistent balance in my life.  Summer is a greater task than the rest of the year simply due to the boys being home from school.  There are swim lessons or golf lessons or play dates, and of course just having fun at home.  But I've also been striving for a bit more structure.  I wasn't even sure what that would actually look like initially, but things have sort of fallen in to something that feels right for us.


I started off with a goal for the boys.  In an effort to boost their "readiness" for school this fall, we began having a morning period of "school."  Ayson works on his alphabet and the sounds each letter makes as well as practicing sequencing.  And Alex is memorizing his multiplication tables up to the 12's as well as taking the 3rd grade math mission tests from school.  We don't spend a long time with any of it, usually between 20 and 30 minutes, which is just about perfect.  Amazingly, they haven't resisted at all and are learning a lot.


Last week I decided to layer in some French language with the boys as well.  It's been a very long time since I got my degree, and have barely used it since graduating.  As a result, I have felt I've lost a lot of what I knew and learned. In spite of that, this summer I'm doing my own little experiment and attempting to casually teach the boys some basic French.  If things progress the way I want them to we'll continue.  It's a fun thing and they are curious and eager to learn.  I'm really looking forward to introducing them to the language, culture and even a little bit of history.  We'll see if we can pull it off! :)


So that's where we are this summer.  Summer home-schooling - our own version!

No comments: