Saturday, October 8, 2011

Music Men...

Alex had an early release at school yesterday thanks to a staff development day for the teachers and Columbus Day weekend.  He was most disconcerted when I dropped him off at school that morning because Ayson was getting to go camping with Nanny and Grampy.  It just wasn't fair! Never mind that he gets to join little brother today.  So at noon I joined the long pick-up-your-kid car line wondering what frame of mind my little monkey would be in.  When our eyes met as he was being escorted to our car, he was wearing his typical grin.  He had a good day after all.  He and I had a little date together at Starbucks and then we headed home.

After a few hours of busy-ness out and about with Daddy, they came home and A.J. began restringing a very old guitar a good friend's dad had found in a garbage years ago.  He gave it to A.J. and it has sat in his closet for well over ten years.  It's a German-made Framus guitar built sometime in the early 60's.  He's worked hard on it, and has made it look lovely again (I wish we would have taken a before picture) with a pretty good sound.  When Alex saw the finished guitar, he begged A.J. to have a music session in A.J.'s office.  They plugged in a microphone, a guitar, and an amplifier and spent well over an hour having a daddy-son jam session.  A.J. introduced him to some of the greatest contemporary music of our time: John Denver and Neil Diamond! Ha! And Alex had a blast!  And I got the benefit of musical accompaniment while I prepared dinner.
Alex is not shy when you stick a microphone in his hand and he's at home.  Here he was doing his own impromptu  song accompanied by A.J.  Oddly, it sounded like the background singing in the song "Take Off to the Great White North" by Bob & Doug McKenzie from back in the early 80's.  I'm really dating myself here aren't I? :)

Alex making a "beat" by tapping on the microphone with his hand.

Too busy to notice I was even taking a pic!  

I love my boy!

1 comment:

Malinda said...

Your endless memory catalog of music still amazes me! I really believe you can name the title and artist of any song. ;o)