Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Just A Snip...

Yesterday afternoon I discreetly took my scissors to Ayson's pacifiers, yellow and blue.  I trimmed about a quarter of an inch off the tip of each one, and then they were tossed back in his bed. I had spent several days contemplating what would be the least traumatic way to remove these suckers from Ayson's world.  Eventually I came to the conclusion that "gradual" was the way to go - the plan being that over a few days the silicone would just "disappear" and Ayson would along the way not even notice.  Right? It was a good idea in theory, but it just didn't work out that way. 
In happier times - before the "snip."

After Ayson's bath last night and getting on his pajamas, he reached in to his bed to grab yellow and blue and immediately realized something was amiss.  A.J. described to me the horror on his face, the upset exclamation that we "need to get new ones" because the old ones were now "broken," and then the devastating cry as he threw them to the ground.  I had been at Target while this occurred, but when I returned home, Ayson ran to the living room, threw yellow and blue on the floor yet again and cried his eyes out while sitting in my lap. It was so sad.  I wanted to just pop new ones in his mouth and say, "Here my sweet baby! Use them until you're 40! Just don't sob like that!"  Amazingly at bedtime he did actually go to sleep fairly easy.  This afternoon he wanted to continue to use them for nap time so I let him.  I guess this evening it'll be time for another trim!

3 comments:

Malinda said...

That is so funny and sad all at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I love it. 40 is a little extreme. Keep up the good work, snip, snip, snip!!

Shannon said...

That is sad. Tough love is hard. I think he will thank you for it when he is 40 though :)

We went cold turkey with Ellie. We totally snipped it off. She did amazingly well.