Thursday, January 7, 2010

Why I need a craft knife...

Tuesday afternoon Alex asked me if we could do a craft. I'm up for a craft most of the time, but I simply had no ideas in my internal data bank. I went online (what would we do without the Internet?) and found a craft that looked fun. I even had all of the materials needed with the exception of a craft knife, but who needs one of those? Hooray! I knew I'd be getting my "You're the best Mom" accolades from Alex. We began sizing, constructing, cutting. Music accompanied us on Pandora as we created our masterpiece - we were a well-oiled crafting team! Then I grabbed my scissors to begin cutting shapes in the middle of some thin cardboard. Have you ever tried to cut out shapes in the middle of cardboard? I was having a little difficulty getting the scissors through one section of the cardboard, so I gripped tightly with my left hand (my writing hand) and I pushed hard with the point of the scissors. I simultaneously felt the release of the cardboard as the scissors pushed through, and then a sharp pain in my middle finger. I quickly grabbed my finger to see blood. It really hurt! I quickly washed it (ouch! did I mention it really hurt?), and then Dr. A.J. (who has a wonderful bedside manner by the way) wrapped it with a nice big band-aid. Today the band aid came off. It's still really sensitive so I've been gingerly holding my middle finger slightly above the others in a flipping-someone-the-bird position. Nice...By the way. That craft? We never finished it. Alex ran off to play with his moon sand instead!

No comments: