Monday, March 29, 2010

A New One...

Yesterday evening Alex had a fun-filled time with his Aunt Jennifer at her church's Easter program and egg hunt (he had a blast by the way). He really enjoys spending time with his auntie and I think they're making some great memories together.

Anyhoo, this guy, for a few hours anyway, got to be an only child. Looks sweet doesn't he?



From past experience that means that Ayson is a little more easy going, and we obviously forgo the brotherly bickering that sometimes occurs. A.J. and I had to run to Home Depot for more flower bed mulch and because Ayson loves the Depot (who doesn't?), we thought it'd be a fun trip. When we got there Ayson wanted to "ride" on the lawn tractors, so we let him take all the time he wanted while he test drove at least 10 tractors. He ran through the garden area, up and down the aisles, the wind blowing through his silky blond hair. He laughed, he smiled big, he said hi to everyone he passed, he smelled the flowers. Oh the joy. It was two year old freedom at it's best...

...After A.J. had checked out, we began our walk back to the car. I told Ayson if he wanted to walk, he needed to hold my hand. Okay he said. I'm glad we had an understanding, and I was feeling pretty good about my parenting skills that we were able to discuss this in a civil manner. About 10 feet away from the car he made a break for it. I grabbed his hand, and then he dramatically collapsed to the pavement on his tummy and oh- so- carefully "banged" his head on the pavement. I just stood there staring at him. I really was quite impressed by his theatrics and lack of inhibition. Eventually he turned and cocked his head my direction as if to make sure I was aware of what was going on. Then I reached down and put him in his car seat and we were on our merry way home again. The end.

3 comments:

Cari said...

Lauren walked through the mall yelling, "your huring me" to everyone when I gently held her hand. I don't think I will win mother of the year for that outing.

Malinda said...

Sounds like my everyday life. Today I put Cason in the stroller at the mall and he started screaming at me "Stop It", "Stop It!" in his most hateful voice. Gotta love the terrible twos! Remind me to tell you about our latest Cici's incident. No parenting awards for me!

Aunt Jennifer said...

I had a wonderful time with Alex at the park and will have some pictures for posting tonight. The look on his face as we sat down to share a banana split on the way home was priceless. Photos coming soon!