We decided we'd take one morning to spend some time over there. We had planned to take the boat at 10:00 a.m. and return on the 12:00 p.m. thinking that would give us plenty of time. That morning we arrived at San Jose as planned, and walked about 10 minutes to a nice spot on the beach, lathered on the sunscreen, and headed for the water. We all had a lot of fun hunting for sea shells and even managed to find four very small sand dollars. I discovered the best place to find the shells was in the really shallow water rather than up on the beach (though the beach provided ample scallops, coquinas, mussel shells, and then miscellaneous bits and pieces of others). Alex and A.J. spent a lot of time on the boogie boards, while Ayson enjoyed diving in to the waves along the beach over and over again. We have definitely become lovers of the beach - the sights, smells and sounds are intoxicating and almost as awesome as being in the mountains!
It was nearing 12:00 so we asked the boys if they wanted to leave or stay for another hour and leave at 1:00 instead - of course the boys opted to stay, so back in the water they went. Very quickly our extra hour passed. We packed up all of our things and headed back to the dock to meet the boat to go back. As we were standing there, sweating in the hot sun, A.J. was digging through one of our bags and happened to pull out our ticket stub to look at the boat schedule and realized that the next boat would not be arriving until 2:00 p.m. not 1:00 p.m. All I could say was, "You are kidding me!" Our two hour trip had become a four hour trip. We were quickly becoming grumpy with that news. I had not packed any snacks, only water & juice, because I thought we'd be back in time for lunch. So we slowly trudged back to the beach again to kill another hour. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit cranky. The up side of things is that when we were finally back at the dock again waiting for the boat we spotted some dolphins and sea turtles in the channel. I told A.J. when we finally saw that jetty boat coming that I knew what it was like for Ginger, Mary Ann, Gilligan and the gang to finally be rescued off their island! :)
When we were back in Port Aransas we hopped in the car and made a direct line visit to Whataburger to stuff our growling bellies with burgers and fries. We were beginning to feel a little better then. The only real negative I have about that visit was that in the bustle of getting the boys sunscreened up, I neglected to put sunscreen on my legs. As a result I got a nice burn on about 4 inches of my upper legs - I haven't had a burn like that in a long time. Even now - three days later - it's just starting to feel better. Nice! Lesson learned! And we still had a lot of fun! Just remember, check your boat's schedule!
The End!
No comments:
Post a Comment