Monday, October 21, 2013

Long Time No See...

It's been a long time since I've visited my little blog. Time has, once again, gotten away from me. It was not even on my radar when I began homeschooling that my days would be as full as they are. I know. Duh. But I have found myself incredibly busy. It has made me grateful that I am a fairly organized person - planners and calendars are becoming my best friends.

We are now in our 10th week of homeschool. I can honestly say we still have no regrets, and in fact are still thoroughly enjoying it. It has really given me excellent insight in to how my kiddos learn  - both strengths and weaknesses, areas of difficulty and thriving - something I never felt I had a clear grasp on when we were in the public school system. I am really appreciating the flexibility I have to try new methods of presenting subjects/materials, as well as the ability to stay on a subject for an extended period should we need to (though we have not been close to having to do that).

So both boys are excelling in school. Alex adores his science class in Fort Worth, but also loves his social studies and world view classes. Ayson really enjoys his reading class in Fort Worth and is reading simple beginning words/sentences. You can see his brain working so hard as he works through the steps of reading - I'm so proud of him. 

Because Thursday is our golf and school in Fort Worth day, I try to reserve the afternoon for a "field trip." While still hot out, we spent several of our afternoons at the science museum. But now that cool weather has arrived we've made our first visit to the botanic gardens. We hadn't been there all summer so it was a blast for us all to be back there again. We only made it through the Texas Native Forest Boardwalk but it was perfect. We just moseyed, explored - didn't rush through anything.


 Pecans!

Alex caught a butterfly/moth and Ayson gathered acorns.

Having a happy week!! :)

No comments: