When I was an elementary student, I joined the Brownies. I'm sure I had a fun time, but mostly I liked wearing the darling Brownie uniform. I think it was actually all about that uniform, because I really can't remember any of the Brownie things we did. In second grade I intended to proceed with Girl Scouts. I even went on their first official Girl Scout outing (have I written about this before?). We took a day trip to a lake to swim, play and have all sorts of Girl Scout fun. All was going well until lunch. My friend, Tracie's mom who was one of the scout leaders was in charge of making lunch. She prepared a delightful concoction for us to dine on called "Coffee can stew." I have no idea what was in it, only that it was a mash of different things heated up in a coffee can. We were each given a healthy portion of the stew and a mini Dixie cup of Hi-C. Well, one bite of the stew put my gag reflex in to overdrive. I chased the bite down with my entire cup of Hi-C. I went back up to get a refill but was told that I couldn't have any more until I finished my stew. I was starving, but not that starving. That was the end of my lunch, and subsequently the end of my time with the Girl Scouts. I was done!
Fortunately that hasn't been the case with my munchkin. He just spent a rainy camping weekend with A.J. south of Waco for some fishing. This was Alex's first time fishing (at least "real" fishing) and while he caught only one fish, he had the time of his life. Raining while camping? That made it all the better! Here are some of my favorite photos that A.J. took from their time together...
| His big catch: rainbow trout 14" and 15 oz. :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment