Wednesday, March 5, 2014

And So It Goes...

After six months of being in campaign mode for the precinct 2 county commissioner seat, it all came to a screeching halt yesterday. Despite the fact that my hubby was the only candidate with substantial relevant experience, as well as available information for voters concerning the commissioners court issues (since most people aren't even aware of what the commissioners court even does), the voters responded with a resounding "No!" Being honest, it was actually quite shocking to lose as badly as we did. Neither of us was angry - we both sort of laughed at the utter ridiculousness of the whole thing - it was truly unbelievable. While there are a number of reasons I believe we lost, the one thing I know to be true is that there is not one thing A.J. could have done to change the outcome. He did it all. Signs. Targeted mailers. Walking neighborhoods. Newspaper ads. Meet and greets. Forums. Debates. You name it. There is nothing else he could have done to garner more votes.

Over this campaign season, I've thought about how I'd react to a loss. The further in to the campaign we got, and the more events we had to attend, and the more interactions with unsavory people (and there were many), the more stressed out A.J. and I both became. We were stressed out all the time (it's even affected our weight - good for me, not as good for him!). We felt pretty helpless and out of control. The more helpless we grew, the more we relied on the Lord to just take the reins. We allowed ourselves to just rest in the moment. That's not to say that everything was peachy - it definitely was not - just that we were being held close during this storm, and there was a peace in our souls. Funny how that all works.

So this morning, we woke up. We weren't in mourning or anything. We awoke with a freedom from the bondage of the campaign. We actually had a normal day of school with the boys, a nice visit to Starbucks and a yummy family dinner together. It was just so normal. I like normal. Normal is good. :)

No comments: